Do you have a passion for sustainable forestry and community partnerships? The Eastern Ontario Model Forest (EOMF) is looking for a Coordinator to run the Forest Certification Program. The main purpose for this individual is to manage, and advance, forest certification in the Great Lakes-St. Lawrence forest region, and to support the General Manager with other EOMF activities related to sustainable forestry. The EOMF manages an FSC® certificate on behalf of 13 community forests, 2 private commercial forest owners and 104 private landowners which spans 74, 800 hectares in southern Ontario.
The EOMF has been operating in southern Ontario since 1992, with its office located in Kemptville, Ontario. It is overseen by a volunteer board of directors. The organization is a leader in private woodlot certification, forest education and forest health.
The terms of employment for this position are flexible and negotiable. We are looking for someone either on a contract and/or salary basis, working 3-4 days/week with the possibility of full-time in the future. The home office for the EOMF is in Kemptville, but the EOMF would consider a flexible work arrangement from remote locations within a couple of hours drive from the Kemptville office.
The successful candidate will report to the General Manager and have the following credentials, experience, and capacity:
- Post-secondary education (Diploma or Degree) and a minimum of five years of experience in a forestry related field.
- Member of the Ontario Professional Foresters Association, or eligibility to become a member (Full or Associate membership class).
- Experience working with forest management standards.
- Applied field experience with expertise in areas such as: forest management planning, forest operations, forestry ecology and forest audit and evaluation.
- Good knowledge of current forestry issues and trends related to the forest industry.
- Solid understanding of the laws and applicable legislation such as the various Municipal Forestry By-Laws and Species at Risk Legislation.
- Experience working with First Nation communities.
The primary duties of the Forest Certification Coordinator include:
- Serving as coordinator for the EOMF’s Forest Certification Program.
- Ensuring the integrity of the EOMF’s certification certificate through the third-party audit process.
- Continuing the advancement and expansion of the certification program with potential partners.
- Developing excellent working relationships with existing and new community forest members and private forest owners.
- Monitoring active harvest operations with existing program members to ensure compliance with forest certification standards.
- Coordinating the Certification Working Group meetings.
- Coordinating forest manager, practitioner, and owner training opportunities.
- Supporting other activities and events related to sustainable forestry and forest certification.
Please forward your resume and cover letter by Feb 28, 2021:
c/o Eastern Ontario Model Forest