Core Activities

Facts

  • Although known as a “Forest Nation”, 78% of Canadians live in urbanized areas which represent just 0.2% of the total land area of Canada, mostly located in the south (below 50 deg N).
  • 50% of these people are in the Great Lakes - St. Lawrence Forest Region.
  • Urban areas in Canada are about 19% forested.
  • Only 10% of the urban forest is municipally owned – the other 90%, usually not visible from the street, is privately owned.